Sunday, October 4, 2009

Where Would I Go For an Island Vacation?

I have decided that I am going to have an island vacation!

I'm not worried about what I could do there as I know I can people-watch, lounge, swim, dive, kayak, sail, eat, drink, shop, fish, gamble or do nothing at all!

How do I pick between the Caribbean, the Mediterranean, or the Pacific?

I have heard that the Mediterranean is not just a place but a state of mind. Its hot dry summers make it perfect for lying on beaches or lying in the deep blue waters. The warm weather matches the hospitality of the locals.

Why a Caribbean vacation? For the beaches and sea, the history of the islands, the unique mixture of Caribbean, British, Dutch, Spanish and African cultures. Diving, surfing, windsurfing, fishing, sailing and snorkeling. Even sitting on the beach is better in the Caribbean!

Why would I want to go to the Pacific? Aren't they the most amazing islands in the world? There are few tourists and even fewer monster hotels. The Pacific Islanders have a fascinating culture. Some islands are so small they are only a beach and a coral reef. Other islands are so large that they have hundreds of different languages.

If I were to go to the Mediterranean, I would avoid the middle of Summer. Its the peak session, its very hot and full of tourists. If I was going to go in August, I would make sure to book far in advance. I prefer Fall or late Spring, it is still warm, everything is open but everywhere is less crowded. Early Spring is a good time to visit the more southern parts of the Mediterranean as well as larger islands like Crete. I have found that even in the middle of Winter, the weather is still mild. The only problem with Winter is that its the low season, most of the attractions are shut.

If the Caribbean was my pick, going in the most popular time of December to April might put me off. Its the coldest part of Winter in the US and Europe so everyone would be taking advantage of it being the driest time in the Caribbean. The prices are lower in the off-season, between May and November, but I would have to be aware of hurricanes.

If the Pacific topped my list, I would have to remember the seasons are reversed in the Southern Hemisphere. Summer is between December and April - which is the hottest and most humid time to be near the Equator but the best time to visit places like New Zealand and southern Australia. May to September is Winter, but it is the best time to visit the islands nearer the Equator and northern Australia. The weather is cooler and less humid so there is less rainstorms, this is why it is also the peak season.

What about a resort island? A complete package with activities, pools, restaurants, shopping or even gambling. What about an island unspoilt by development? I could handle an empty island. There are over 700 islands in the Bahamas, they can't all be full?

I could go on about how it depends on the time of the year, how much time I want to spend traveling to get there, peak or off-peak seasons and what I would do there. But really, I am going to book an island vacation package now!

Martin wishes he was having an island vacation right now! If only he could decide where to go.....

Island Vacation Packages

Great Caribbean vacation deals

No comments:

Post a Comment